Happy New Year to you and your family! Most people make resolutions to lose weight or learn a new skill. HPA has made resolutions to continue to find great start up companies and fund them. We also want to grow the entrepreneurial community. Looking backward, here are some of the things we did last year.1. Funded three new portfolio companies. Power2Switch, Cloudbot and Media Chaparone. 2. We had follow on funding at higher valuations for several of our portfolio companies, Tap Me, Ycharts, UICO. Our portfolio companies are operating, have customers and are growing.
3. We had our first, exit, Gradebeam.
4. We grew our membership, and are now approaching 100 angels that have committed to invest $250,000 in start ups over the next 5 years.5. We started a fund, Hyde Park Venture Partners. HPVP is going to work closely with the angel group and make it better. 6. We co-invested with new partners that we look forward to working with in the future.
Thanks a lot for all your support and we could not have done this without you. Continuing with the New Years Resolution vein, we have made some resolutions for anyone that lives in the midwest and wants to support the entrepreneurial community here. We know you can fulfill them. Let us know how you do.1. Become a customer of a start up company-there is no better way to support the ecosystem than to become a customer.
2. Make a connection for a start up company-introduce them to a customer, or introduce them to someone that can help them grow their business. Use your network! It’s valuable.3. Visit this blog and send us your ideas. We like to hear from you. Talk to one of our angels or associates.
4. Visit Built In Chicago and create a profile for yourself if you are an entrepreneur or want to invest in start ups.
5. Tell other people about the great things going on in the midwest regarding to start ups companies. You are the best salesperson for where you live.2012 promises to be a pivotal year in entrepreneurial activity here in the midwest. There are a lot of great things going on. Lots of momentum. Be a part of it.